Thursday, April 30, 2009

Yesterday the village elders of (Wardak) asked that we evaluate 5 orphan children at the new hospital for treatment. I was asked to check and see if the Egyptian Hospital in Bagram could help. When we arrived at the new AMOR hospital at 730 am these kids were all there patiently wating. They had to travel over 1 1/2 hrs to get here this morning. One had severe burns all over his head, looked like old scars and there was nothing we could do. Two were very mentaly challenged and probably had some form of autism. It was sad to see them so messed up that they couldnt even walk without help or guidance. One 8 year old girl had a large spot on her right eye that looked like a caterac. She could only see on the extreme sides. The last boy was probably blind and he did not communicate very well. The Drs. at the new AMOR hospital could not do anything for any of them. They do not have an eye Dr. I told Saraj that I would do what I could to get into Bagram today and see the Egyptian hospital team who helped Halima and all the other kids. I called President Wikle and asked him if he had any contacts inside of Bagram that could escourt me past all the checkpoints. He sent out an all call email and within 10 minutes I received two phone calls from Bagram, one was SGT Dunn and the other was a U.S. surgeon. They said they would do what they could.
We then left for an appointment with the Grandson of the former Afghanistan King. He greeted us and we had a nice conversation about apiece of property near Kabul that was available. He was nice but I did not get a good feeling about support from him. I felt like I was getting a run around.
My next visit was to USAID near the Embasy. That visit lasted 30 minutes and I learned what I already knew. They would not help. Apparently USAID is a self generating project system. Meaning they come up with the ideas of what they think needs to be built in Afghanistan and they then put out bids for projects. I was told that as good and great a need as an orphanage their government funded and run system of helping would not support a bottom up request. Oh well, our government at work.
My last item of the day was heading North to Bagram airbase. Enroute SGT Dunn called me and requested all our passport and ID numbers so he could fill out entry passes before our arrival. When we arrived at the Bagram Gate I was shocked to see how much had changed. Security has been increased several hundred percent. I then recieved a phone call from SGT Dunn who told me that his command got wind of what he and others were doing trying to get us in the gate and told them to stop and get back to work (their normal jobs). They were also told that they would not be authorized to come outside the gate (wire) and pick us up (a requirment). While they were working this problem out with their command an airforce security team came wondering out the gate and I approched them and jokenling said, are you my escourt inside? They said no and that I could not get in without a valid military I.D. I produced my I.D. and they said I did not need an escourt, take yourself and your guests in. I headed inside the security system and was stopped 5 different times for bag checks and body searches. I had to keep pushing my way into each security check point with difficulty each step. I was finaly stopped at the last point and could go no further without the help of SGT Dunn. He was able to swing something and he CPT Anderson a Black Hawk pilot, came to our rescue with badges.
Once inside we had to walk the nearly 2 mile stretch to the Egyptian hosptial. Once inside we contacted the Eye surgeon and showed him pictures and video of the two kids and was told they could hep. We made appointments for this Sunday at 9:00 at the Egyptian Gate for examination.
We then were pushing the 6:00 curfew when they shut down the gate so we quickly retraced our steps back out side. One of my interpreters previously asked if the rumor was true that there was a Burger King inside the base. I told him yes. He really wanted Burger King and we were in eye sight of Burger King but had to leave. He was so bumbed out. Once out side Bagram my interpreter turned to me and said "welcome to Afghanistan" meaning what a relief to get out of the security night mare we had just navigated. We did learn that all the helpicopter arrangements had changed completely since we left. All the Apaches were now on the opposite side of the airfield.
We declared our efforts a success and worth the extra effort with two more children getting an important chance of new eye sight.
Im back in my room needing to go to bed for a 5:00 wake up and head to the airport for an early departure.
See you Saturday at 10:00

4 comments:

  1. I am in awe of you Mr. Layne Pace and pray for your continuing safety and long term success of your projects.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mr.Layne Pace!
    First, I’m so glad finding your organization which was e-mailed me by some of my friend. However, my name is Shabir Baher, I’m originally from Afghanistan. I currently live in Salt Lake City. I always, pray for you and your colleague happiness and succeed helping the most vulnerable category (children) in Afghanistan. I will be very pleased if you contact me here in SLC. Here is my cell phone (801) 688-4013 or shabirbahonar@yahoo.com
    Thank you, looking forward talking to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello

    I happened to view your blog today. As we are aware of conditions in Iraq and Afghanistan. Who are responsible for these destruction and killings of innocent people? Is it not duty of American people to get up and stop those hands responsible of these destructions and killings?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helping one person might not change the whole world, but it could change the world for one person. Your NGO is doing an excellent work.
    Your organisation is selflesly helping others which is very rare in the present world.

    We also run a NGO by the name of ROTI BANK whose main motive is to feed poor and underprivileged people.We collect leftover food form parties
    marriages and also from houses and deliver it in slums and to hungry and needy people.

    Roti Bank

    ReplyDelete