Thursday, April 30, 2009

I'm having quite the adventure over here. I have been taken under the wing of a war lord who says for some reason he like's me (for an American). I will have to tell you the story how he found me later. He has provided almost 24 hr security with two of his men around me all the time, they insist I grow a beard (tyring) and wearing man jamas (afgan clothes). I make them nervous because of the places I want to go and people to meet. I apparently dont understand how much danger of being kidnapped Im in. I'v been as far south as Wardak (active fighting region) and up to the top of Afghanistan in Baghlan staying over night in an Afghan mud brick compound. I thought I was just going to stay in Kabul but fate has a way of working things out, (go figure). I have one more adventurous day left meeting with family members of the old King of Afghanistan and then to the US Embasy (USAID, begging for money) and then heading up to Bagram air base to meet the Egyptian hospital staff (trying to arrange two more sugeries for kids) and then catching a flight in 36 hours for home. I land in Salt Lake about 10:00 am Saturday.
Layne Pace

No comments:

Post a Comment