Sunday, April 26, 2009

I landed 2 hrs late because of maintenance problems at Dubai. We were picked up by the security team hired by Waterford foundation, now called AMOR, American Medical Overseas Relief. They must know someone because we were ushered to the front of a very long line going through Passport checks. I met President Wikle outside the Airport and he gave me a cell phone to use while in country. 0794073327. While driving to the hotel I felt I had done this before, going very fast, honking horns and making everyone get out of our way. I guess they have special driving privileges because everyone moved. We checked into our hotel and immediately left again for a tour of the Ashfar hospital AMOR just completed. There must have been 20 security guards around us. We left back to Kathleen Rafiq's home and had dinner. There we discussed our plans for the week. Dr. Scoffield needs to stay with the hospital to conduct a review and get things in order. I asked the administrator of the Wardak orphanage Saraj Wardak if I could still travel down. He said that it would not be a good idea because of security and he had concerns of someone seeing an American go inside and cause the orphanage problems after I left. After some discussion we decided that the best course of action would be to travel to another part of Afghanistan where it is much safer and a better location for an orphanage. This is located at Baghlan, way up north above Bagram. You can look it up on a map, I have a faint memory where this is located. I decided to follow this advice and am traveling first light 4 hours north with Saraj Wardak and team, he sure seams to have a lot of connections. We will not have enough time to look around, make an assessment of the property and make it back by night fall so I am staying the night in Baghlan at one of Saraj's homes. I will have a large security team with me and was assured I would be safe. I was asked to wear man jamas which I was hoping I wouldn't have to do. I do not know if there is cell phone service up there but will try and give you updates from Baghlan. I will keep in touch when I can.
Layne

2 comments:

  1. As part of its community outreach efforts, Afshar Hospital in Kabul is developing a relationship with the Wardak Orphanage. The hospital provides on-site medical care to the orphans as well as people in the surrounding community. And for many of the Wardak orphans, this is the first medical care they’ve received in their lives. Here's the link to the post: http://amoreliefnews.blogspot.com/2010/05/medical-care-delivered-to-wardak.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I m in search of kathleen rafiq please if anybody can provide me any contact details like facebook email etc i would be very grateful plz my email is mina_alimi@Hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete